Attached are the recipes from the cooking class presented to the members of the Fountain Hills Community Garden on Saturday, June 6.
Couscous Salad with Zucchini, Lemon and Ricotta Salata
4 cups loosely-packed, cooked couscous
1 1/2 cup zucchini, minced
1 Tablespoon shallots, minced
2 Tablespoons basil, cut into chiffonade
Zest of one lemon, grated
1 1/2 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Ricotta Salata, or Feta cheese, crumbled
1. In a large mixing bowl, fold together the cooked couscous, zucchini, shallot, basil and lemon zest.
2. Pour in the lemon juice and olive oil and stir well to mix.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
5. Just before serving, sprinkle on cheese.
Corn & Zucchini Salad with Thai Basil Pesto
2 ears of fresh corn, kernels removed
1 1/2 cups zucchini, diced in 1/2″ pieces
1/2 cup red onion, diced in 1/2″ pieces
1 Serrano pepper, minced
2 cups Thai basil leaves*, stems removed
1/2 teaspoon Italian spice blend
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ounces feta cheese
1. In a medium sized bowl, add corn kernels, zucchini and red onion into a large bowl.
2. Place the basil, Italian spices, olive oil, garlic and salt in a food processor.
3. Pulse mixture until smooth.
4. Pour the pesto into the bowl of vegetables.
5. Taste and adjust adjust seasoning
6. Top with the feta cheese.
*Use a combination of fresh basil and mint leaves if Thai basil is not available.
Sauteed Zucchini With Mint, Basil & Walnuts
1/2 pound zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 small cloves garlic
6 mint leaves
6 basil leaves
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
1/2-1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 handful of mint and basil, cut into a chiffonade
1 Tablespoon parsley, minced
1 1/2 tablespoons walnuts, lightly toasted
1. Using a 10-inch skillet, heat over medium high heat.
2. Once hot, add the zucchini. Don’t crowd the zucchini and cook in two batches if needed. Saute until just brown, turning over to brown the other side. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until done.
3. In a small bowl, add the garlic, mint, basil and capers and press ingredients together with a fork into a pesto sauce consistency.
5. Add herb mixture, vinegar, salt and pepper to skillet of zucchini. Toss well.
6. Sprinkle additional herbs, parsley and walnuts over the top of the dish.
7. Serve immediately.