Attached are the recipes from the cooking class presented to the members of the Fountain Hills Community Garden on Saturday, March 7.
Roasted Beet, Pistachio & Cumin Salad
8 medium-sized beets, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
2 to 3 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Tablespoon water
1/2 cup pistachios, toasted and salted
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
1 1/2 Tablespoon. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees.
2. Clean and scrub the beets.
3. Place the beets in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and 1 Tablespoon water.
4. Roll the beets around in the oil to completely coat, then cover the beets with aluminium foil.
5. Bake until tender when pierced with a knife, approximately 50 to 70 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven, and allow beets to cool.
7. To protect your hands from discoloring, put on a pair of kitchen gloves. Peel the beets and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Place in a bowl.
9. Roast pistachio nuts on a baking tray in a 350 F. degree oven until they just begin to brown and turn fragrant, less than 5 minutes.
10. Remove pistachios from oven and set aside to cool.
11. Toast the cumin seeds in a dry skillet on medium-high heat until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
12. In a spice grinder, pour in 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds. Coarsely grind.
13. Pour cumin seeds into a medium bowl. Add the remainder of the whole toasted cumin seeds.
14. To make the vinaigrette, pour 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste into the bowl of spices, and mix well.
15. Pour the vinaigrette over the roasted beets.
16. Sprinkle with pistachio nuts and crumbled goat cheese, if using.
Citrus Salad with Red Onion & Mint
2 grapefruit (pink or red)
4 navel and/or blood oranges
2 Tablespoons honey
2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 mint leaves, cut into chiffonade
Sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1. Cut peel from citrus fruit, then cut into 1/4-inch thick slices, removing any seeds. Remove all white pith.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together honey and balsamic vinegar. Slowly drizzle in extra virgin olive oil, whisking until emulsified. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
3. Arrange citrus slices on a platter. Drizzle with as much honey-balsamic vinaigrette as you like. Sprinkle with mint.
4. Dish may be chilled before adding vinaigrette.
Parsley Salad with Pecorino-Romano & Toasted Walnuts
3 cups fresh Italian parsley, stems removed
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
5-6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated
1. In a food processor, place the parsley and walnuts. Pulse 3-4 times.
2. Add lemon juice and Pecorino-Romano cheese.
3. Place the lid on the mixture. Slowly stream in the extra virgin olive oil through the top as the mixture is pulsed on and off for another 4-5 times.
4. Remove contents from the food processor and pour into a bowl, or plate for serving.