I created this recipe for a holiday dinner and it has since become a favorite of my family and customers. Since this is the time of year when we strive to eat healthier, this is a perfect diet-friendly recipe to put in your weekly menu planning.
The crisp Brussels sprouts are left raw and thinly sliced. Mixed with spicy arugula, apple chunks, pomegranate seeds and toasted chopped hazelnuts makes it a simple recipe to put together. Then, add a portion of the homemade vinaigrette and allow it to set for at least 30 minutes. Toss with the remainder of the dressing just before serving.
One additional bonus: Because the sprouts are not cooked, you’ll avoid having that negative cabbage aroma wafting throughout your kitchen.
Give it a try and let me know how you like it.
BRUSSELS SPROUT & ARUGULA SLAW
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, cleaned and bottoms trimmed and removed
2 cups arugula, chopped
1 sweet apple (Gala, Fuji, or Honey Crisp)
1 cup hazelnuts, toasted
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Thinly slice Brussels sprouts and place pieces in large bowl.
- Cut and core apple, leaving skin on. Slice into bite-sized chunks. Place in bowl with Brussels sprouts.
- Add arugula, toss with Brussels sprouts.
- Add pomegranate seeds to salad.
- Remove as much skin from hazelnuts as you can by rolling them in a towel. Chop and place in with salad.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, shallots, salt and pepper to make the vinaigrette.
- About 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving, add 1/2 cup of vinaigrette to salad. Toss well.
- Allow salad to set at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Drizzle remaining vinaigrette over salad.